There is a recent surge among middle-aged Americans wanting to maintain a younger look. Acupuncture is gaining popularity as an alternative method to surgery, laser/chemical peels, botox, restyline, radiance and collagen injections. Fine acupuncture needles are placed at empirical points on the face and result in increased local production of collagen, thereby tightening the existing fibers. Facial tissue is left more supple and smooth, and lines are minimized.
Treatment protocol: A normal course of treatment includes ten sessions per facial area. Sessions are held between one and three times per week. Results can last anywhere from three to five years.
Acupuncture’s unique potential: While not a replacement for surgery, Cosmetic Acupuncture is an excellent alternative. It is far less costly than cosmetic surgery. It is also safe, as it requires no drugs or injections and produces minimal side effects. There is a slight risk of temporary local bruising, which should disappear within three to seven days.
Contraindications: Some patients are not candidates for facial rejuvenation, including persons with pacemakers, heart conditions, high blood pressure, diabetes mellitus, migraine headaches, bleeding disorders, pregnancy and some pituitary disorders.
Benefits of Cosmetic Acupuncture:
- minimizes deep and fine lines
- reduces puffiness by eliminating excess fluids
- stimulates blood and lymph circulation
- improves facial glow and sheen
- promotes overall health and well being raises drooping eyelids
- shrinks age spots
- tightens and lessens bags around the eyes
- moderates stress evident in the face
- increases collagen production
- firms facial muscles
- strengthens the immune system